Thursday, March 29, 2012

Behind the Book Mania ~ Author Spotlight on Jillian Chantall

Posted by Mackenzie Crowne at 8:05 PM


Hiya folks, so glad you could stop by. My friend, Jillian Chantal has embraced the mania today to tell us a bit about herself and her title SEBASTIAN'S SALVATION. And she's brought along a free copy for one lucky commenter. So without further ado, help me welcome the lovely and talented Jillian Chantal. 

Hi there, Jill. Thanks so much for visiting today. What was the germ of the idea behind Sebastian's Salvation?

I wanted to write a story with a less than perfect-bodied hero. I also wanted to write an interracial relationship. I combined both in Sebastian's Salvation.

I'm impressed. Writing can be difficult enough without adding extra challenges. What is the first book you remember loving?

A tome of The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes. I learned to read at an early age and was reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle by the 3rd grade. I carried that book everywhere.

Holy cow! 3rd grade? I guess you've always been an overachiever. So, where is the oddest place you’ve ever pulled out a book?

Good question and I really don't know an answer to this one. I read in all the normal places, like the loo and airplanes but I'm also very social so I can't see myself pulling out a book at a college football game like someone I know did. 

Ahem. I’m not going to say anything, other than, I love that you say loo! That’s so European! Anyhoo … Most authors begin writing because they love to read. Is this true of you and if so, did you write your first book because you were inspired, or because you thought, hell, I can do better than this?

None of the above. LOL. I wrote a lot as a pre-teen and teen. Then I went to college and law school and other things took precedence. I returned to writing as a way to decompress from a high-stress job as a lawyer. I found writing fiction helped my active mind wind down and kept me from fretting about the next case.

Yep, overachiever. I feel so unworthy! Okay, besides a critiquing partner, is there someone you let read your ms before submitting?

I have a beta reader who I have do a read through of the story to see if there are plot holes or if it doesn't hold together. She's super and a big reader.

Hmmm. I need to get me one of those. Which of the characters you’ve written most resembles you, and why?

I've only ever written one lawyer heroine and she is definitely a part of me. My paralegal read the story and said she could totally hear me saying some of the things Evangeline says. This story is not out yet but is being shopped right now. It's a romantic suspense on an international scale.

That's so cool! I've never written myself into a character. Can you say booooring? What is one thing your readers would be surprised to learn about you? 

I have a great sense of adventure. I love, love roller coasters and I have been skydiving. It's a super experience.

Oh gosh. I'm with you on the roller coasters, just did my first free hanging one last week in fact. But skydiving? I would hold your coat for you ... on the ground. You're nuts! Tell us a bit about Sebastian's Salvation?

Blurb:

Three lives intertwine—a former Green Beret, now a painter of nude portraits tormented by the death of his comrade, an earl’s daughter, and a crazed stalker. Will the acts of the stalker force the soldier back into the life of violence which he sought to avoid?
Sebastian Hughes, wounded on a mission in Afghanistan, discovers a talent for painting nude portraits while in a rehabilitation center learning to walk again after losing part of his leg. He becomes the toast of London society and women clamor to be painted by him.
Lady Joanna Gresham, nursing a broken heart and used to getting what she wants, sets her sights on having her portrait painted by Sebastian. Once she meets him, she wants him for herself. She pursues him, intent on winning him. What she didn’t count on was a stalker who wants to harm everyone Sebastian holds dear.

 Excerpt:

 Joanna Gresham passed Margaret in the hallway of Bast’s building. Margaret carried a saddle under her arm.
Margaret stopped her and hitched the saddle to a more comfortable position. “You one of the many?”
“Many what?”
“Clients of Bast’s?”
Joanna shook her head. “No. But I’m thinking about it. I was at his show last night and am very impressed.”
“With the man or the artist?” The woman smiled coyly
“The artist of course.” Joanna stood tall and looked down her nose at the impertinent woman. The nerve to ask me such a thing. As if I’d be interested in a hoodlum.
“Don’t have to get huffy, Lady Joanna. All the women in town are swooning over the man. Some are even commissioning portraits just to tempt him with their bodies. No harm meant.”
Joanna ran her hands through her hair. “Sorry. Just moody, I guess.”
“No problem. Enjoy your session.”
“I don’t have a session. I’m just going to talk.”
“Good luck then. I think you’ll like Bast. I gotta go. Late for a practice run.”
“Good luck with practice. Ta, Margaret.” Joanna waved good-bye and approached the door to Bast’s atelier. Why am I so nervous? He’s just a man I want to hire. Why should I feel so skittish?
Joanna knocked lightly on the door.
The door burst open, and the man asked, “What did you for—”
He stopped short. “Uh. Sorry, I thought you were Margaret, come back for something she forgot. She always leaves something behind.”
“Is that why you were already at the door?”
He smiled. “Yeah. I give her about three minutes after she leaves to come dashing back. I thought I timed it right.” His smile got larger.
Why does his smile have to be so spectacular? He’s gorgeous even with that scar across his face. “Sorry, it’s just me. I’m not sure if you remember—”
“Of course, I do. You’re the lady in the alley, the one that needed no help with her aching feet. Come on in.” He opened the door wider to allow her access to the loft.
Once they were inside, he showed her over to a client chair. He took a seat behind the desk, leaned across the top, and asked, “What can I do for you?”
She put one hand on the desktop and scraped her nail across the surface. “I was at your show last night—”
“Yeah, I know. I saw you, remember?”
“I recall.” She frowned. Was the man determined to make her feel stupid?
“Sorry, ma’am. I didn’t mean to interrupt you. Go on.” Bast nodded his encouragement.
“I was thinking I might want a portrait of myself. Your work is impressive. Very tasteful. I know it seems like I’m just jumping on a trend, but I really am in awe of your abilities.”
“Thank you, ma’am. I appreciate it. I’m a little full right now. The show last night garnered me a lot of commissions, and I’m afraid I don’t have time to add one more person to my schedule. I’ll be glad to put you on the waiting list.” He pulled a pad out of his top drawer.
She stood, and the chair teetered and fell back against the wall. “I know what you’re doing. You jerk.”
He leaned back in his chair and looked at her. His face showed no emotion. “What’s your problem, Lady?”
Lady? You say it that way because you know who I am? You think you can be a sarcastic bastard to me?”
“Ma’am, you came in here, didn’t introduce yourself to me, and now you’re offended? I can’t figure that out. All I said was I have to put you on my waiting list. How you think that’s something offensive, I don’t know.” He sat forward in the chair.
She glared. “I’m Lady Joanna Gresham. I don’t do waiting lists.”
He stood up and walked around the desk to her. He got in her face and said, “I don’t do snobby Ladies. So, I suggest you get out of my studio.”
Joanna pushed his chest. “I just bet you don’t do ladies.” She looked around and took in the whole room and nodded toward the fainting couch under the window. “I bet you do the ladies right over there.”
Enraged, he grabbed her arms and shoved her against the wall. He pressed against her. “If I wanted to do a lady, I’d do her right here against this wall.” He lifted her off her feet as if she was no larger than a toy doll and pulled her over to the other client chair. He sat in it and pulled her on top of himself. “Or here in this chair.”
She jerked off his lap and stumbled backward. “How dare you touch me, you arrogant—”
“What? Black bastard? Is that what you want to call me, your white holiness? Lady Joanna Gresham that doesn’t do waiting lists? Huh? Huh? That what you want to say?” He stood up.
She continued to back up. “You’re crazy. You know that? You’re insane.”
He stalked toward her. “And you’re all alone here with me. A crazy, scar-faced, big black man who isn’t intimidated by a title. Now, what are you gonna do?”
“I’m leaving.” She flounced toward the door.
Just as she got to the door and opened it, he slammed his hand on it and shut it. His body leaned against hers. He pressed against her and whispered, “I bet you always leave. When the going gets tough and you don’t get your way, you leave. Right?”
He let go of the door and stepped back. “Thank you for coming by, ma’am. I’ll be sure to not add you to the waiting list.”
       She jerked the door open and left.
           
Mmmm. Sounds like a couple of handfulls. That always makes for a fun read in my book. Thanks so much for visiting, Jillian. Before you go, where can we find you? And Sebastian’s Salvation?

Visit me on the web here: jillianchantal.com
twitter: JillianChantal
Book trailer: youtube


Don't forget to leave your email address so Jillian can contact you in case you are her winner today.

Trouble commenting? Click on comments at the top of this post. 


21 comments:

Jillian said...

Hey there, Mac. Glad to be here today. I DO sound like a lunatic over-achiever, don't I? But it's all a part of my charm. Lol.

Thanks for letting me drop in.

Jillian said...

And, oh yeah, that lawyer character I wrote? She's waaaay more of a lunatic than me. She's certifiable.

DandWH said...

I am so glad I dropped by to visit today. I know I found myself LOL but literally laughed out loud when I found my kid - that was him wasn't it? Great blog post and you are not nearly the maniac lawyer you wrote but please be advised if you go on adventures like she did I'm with you to hold your purse while you save the day.

Jillian said...

Yes, indeed, d, that was your kiddo! Lol. And no, I can't do all the crazy, kick butt stuff Evangeline did. That's why it's called fiction! Hehehe

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Testing ... Testing. Is this thing working yet? Grrr. I hate blogger issues, but I love having you here, Jillian.

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Well, of course they fixed it, because I posted that goofy comment! LOL

So glad you're here, Jillian. And I love overachievers. I even married one. Overachievers do all the stuff we normal humans never get around to finishing. ;-)

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Thanks for stopping in, DandWH. And I have to say, if that was your kid whipping out a book at the game, you raised him right. LOL Reading is fundamental you know.

Jillian said...

that makes me happy. We all need one in our lives. LOL

And don't encourage DANDWH- we were concerned about the kid's social skills. He HAS gotten better, but it was scary for a minute there. LOL!

Mackenzie Crowne said...

LOL you're looking at this wrong, Jill. Social skills are relative, and can be adapted to the crowd you're in but, having the confidence to blaze your own trail is a trait to be praised. I know this, because I once whipped out a book at a Diamondbacks game. I caused a near riot when the other wives turned on their husbands to say 'See, I told you I should have brought my book!' ;-)

Jillian said...

Okay- I see your point, but I'm going have to respectfully disagree on this one. LOL - for this kid, I wanted him to get into the spirit of the game and the social aspect of flirting with girls! LOL!

And yeah, I'd totally bring a book to a boring ole baseball game!

Laurie Ryan said...

I've never written myself as a character, but I think there are bits and pieces of me in all my heroines. :) Good luck with the romantic suspense. I hope it finds a home.
Don't enter my in the giveaway. I've already got Sebastian's Salvation and loved the story--Sebastian, especially. Yum!

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Okay, I retract my earlier comment. Flirting with girls comes before reading. LOL

BTW, I have to say, your trailer - Wowza! Now THAT is a pair of shoulders. My sister will be drooling!

Jillian said...

Yeah, Laurie, I've never written a character as me either. I was surprised when my paralegal said she thought Evangeline was a lot like me. Because I just didn't see it.

Thanks for saying Sebastian is yummy! I love him, but you know, I'm a smidge biased.

Thanks Mac- I knew you'd get the importance of flirting! LOL!

And yeah, I searched long and hard for Sebastian for that trailer. He's perfect!

Lavada Dee said...

Hi Jillian, Now skydiving. I continue to find out new things about you. Zip lining was about as adventurous as I get and that was a one-time spur of the moment thing.

I've read Sebastian's Salvation and loved him.

Jillian said...

Thanks, Lavada. Someday I won't have anything left to surprise you with. Lol.

Glad you loved Sebastian. Me, too.

Liv Rancourt said...

Great post, ladies! Sebastian's such a fun guy...
;)

Mackenzie Crowne said...

I haven't had the pleasure of reading Sebastian's story yet (I'll be addressing that right quick) and he may be fun, but he is definitely hot. hanks for stopping in, Laurie, Lavada, and Liv.

Jillian said...

Thanks Liv! Glad you liked him.

LOL! Mac- I hope you like him when you "meet" him.

margie said...

So FUN GF!!!! Hugs, Margarita Margie (can't wait to see my character in print)

Jillian said...

Hey Margarita Margie. Still working on your story! Love ya!

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Well hell. What was I thinking? I never announced the winner of Sebastian's Salvation. Drum Roll please ......

Congratulations Liv!!!